Ten Meanings of Emptiness
Emptiness is one of the fundamental teachings of Buddhist philosophy. It is one of the heaviest and most difficult to understand teachings.
The Mahayana Commentary denotes ten meanings of emptiness. These meanings can help point us in the direction of understanding.
1) Emptiness blocks nothing. It penetrates everything but blocks nothing.
2) Emptiness can be found everywhere and in everything.
3) Emptiness is equal everywhere. It has no preference.
4) Emptiness is vast. It has no beginning and is unlimited.
5) It is formless.
6) It is pure. Emptiness has no flaws or weaknesses.
7) It is changeless. It exists apart from life and death.
8) It is an absolute negation. All things dissolve into emptiness.
9) It is empty. It negates itself and destroys attachments to it.
10) It is ungraspable. It cannot be held or controlled.